Saturday, January 23, 2010

Getting organised!

OK- so for those of you who know me pretty well, you will know that I can be a tad disorganised at times! You might think that when it came to planning a solo trip around South America for 3 months, that I'd make an exception and get my act together. Well, you'd be wrong!

My aim for the trip was to arrange things myself (and for what little I HAVE arranged, I have indeed done it myself!). I'm not really the sort of person who likes to have every day planned out- I revel in the freedom that comes with travel. It's great to be able to change your plans because you find out about an awesome place from a fellow traveller, or to extend your stay somewhere because you love it. And that's how I'm managing to justify my lack of organisation!..

My backpack and I depart for Buenos Aires at 8am Sunday 24th January.. Which is my first mistake for the trip! I decided to book the flights online while I was at work on night shift, and somehow (at 4am) it seemed acceptable to fly out at 8am! Clearly I hadn't taken into account the logistics of getting to the airport from Geelong in time for an international flight check in!

Apart from that slight hitch (and the fact that I have an over-the-top, irrational fear of flying), preparation seems to be going along quite well. One might say TOO well! I seem to have all the necessary stuff ready (and some things I could possibly do without- epilady? hello?), with room to spare!? This, coming from the person who used to over-pack when going from North Fitzroy to Geelong for the weekend! So I'm just waiting for the last minute glitch in the system, (ie- realising I've forgotten something very important), and then I'll be all set!

The plan of attack at this stage is: Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Venezuela, Trinidad, Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru, Chile, then back to Argentina for the trip home.. However, as with a lot of things I do- this may be subject to change!

So why am I blogging this trip? To cut to the chase- partly laziness, partly selfishness! I love to keep family and friends updated on the happenings while I'm away...... But I also love spending time in places other than internet cafes!.. So this seems like a great option!

Here's hoping I can get everything done that needs to be done in the next 24 hours, and psych myself up enough to set foot on a plane solo!!

1 comment:

  1. Drugs and alcohol will work. And you'll need loads of red wine anyway, as a blood thinner!
    And whatever it is you relaise you have forgotten tomorrow morning after check in - you don't need it anyway! Or you can buy it! Or at the worst, someone can send it. So you are all set!!

    ReplyDelete