Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Oi Brasil!!!

Visas, vistas and Carnaval
After much stuffing around, the visa situation was FINALLY sorted, and I was on my way to Foz do Iguaçu.. (A little hint for anyone wanting to sort out their visa for Brasil in Puerto Iguazu- the consulate opens at 7am... GET THERE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE BEFORE THE POWER GOES OUT!) The hostel I stayed in at Foz was the sister hostel of the one in Puerto- only with a superb bar and a pool!!! SWEET!!!!

I went to the Brazilian side of the falls, which were fantastic! Although I must admit, I wish I had seen the Brazilian side first- you get so close on the Argentinian side that despite the sensational view in Brazil, it isn't quite the same.. But I DID learn something I wish I had known earlier- the cute coatis that were everywhere on the Argentinian side carry RABIES!!!! And are AGGRESSIVE!!! Lucky I didn't get too close to them then!

I also went to the bird park near the falls, which was kinda scary!!! I just wanted to get a good photo of a tucan!!! But the ones in the park are so used to people that they hop around you and try to pull at any dangly bits on your backpack! And they have HUGE beaks!!!.. (I did get some great photos though!)

My inital plan was only to stay ONE extra night in Foz....... But somehow the Irish contingent at the hostel managed to peer pressure me into staying for TWO more nights- mainly due to the hostel's Carnaval celebrations which included super cheap caipirinhas!... A great night was had by all- and there are NUMEROUS photos to prove it- "OK, one more with my camera".... And I swear I WILL put up photos soon! (I just have to find the USB cord first!)..

Curitiba
So I arrived in Curitiba after a relatively sleepless 10 hour bus trip from Foz (after the bus left 2 hours late)- I WISH the Brazilian buses were as comfy as the Argentinian ones!! No such luck!!! No one serving food and drinks, and no videos- just an old bus with the most uncomfortable seats ever!!! But I managed to only have a little snooze after checking in, and walked my way around the town. The footpaths are paved with black and white patterned cobblestones, just like in Portugal- gorgeous!.. And the old buildings are amazing! It seems as though every second block there is another beautiful praça with old trees and fountains.. No wonder it is known to be the "greenest" city in Brazil!

But next up will be Sao Paulo- should be sensational!!!......

No comments:

Post a Comment