Friday, March 19, 2010

Trinidad..... Going with the flow....

Equal parts frustrating and fantastic!!!
After spending time in Brazil speaking Portuguese, and in Argentina/Uruguay "speaking" Spanish, I was really looking forward to not having to struggle with language and being able to get what I want a bit easier in Trinidad.. It didn't turn out to be the case!! But I still had an amazing time!!!

My first few days were spent staying at a guesthouse in Port of Spain- man, that is one CRAZY town!!!... Even in the middle of peak hour traffic, guys will slam on the brakes so that women can cross the road!.. The traffic itself is NUTS! The people are sooooooooo friendly (in fact, some of the men were a little TOO friendly- I have never had so many marriage proposals anywhere before!).. The rum punch is pretty darn great!.. And the seafood is divine!!.. (Except that it may not be the dish that you order!... I had a waitress tell me she wouldn't give me what I ordered, despite the fact that the said they did have the dish I wanted!!.. It was a nice meal anyway though!!!!)

But after a couple of days there (and half a day being spent trying to send a package of souvenirs back to Oz), I needed some beach time!.. So I popped down to Chagaramas for the last part of my time there. The "resort" I was in happened to be right next to the army base, so I was woken up each morning by the army fellas chanting and marching!.. I did a few day trips to places like Maracas Bay and Diego Martin, and they are AMAZINGLY beautiful!! I didn't actually intend to go to Diego Martin, but the maxi taxi (Trinidad's version of the bongo bus) didn't go to Sangre Grande like it was supposed to!!.. That's just what happens in Trinidad, I guess!! You gotta go with the flow!!

Speaking of the maxi taxis- they are decked out according to the personality of the driver, and play SUPER LOUD music that the driver happens to like.... So you end up on a soca one, or rnb one, or a reggae one... AWESOME!! I haven't heard The Thong Song so much for years!!!

OH! I just remembered another strange place to hear Aussie music- the duty free shop in Panama City had Men At Work's "Down Under" cranked up when I arrived for my marathon stop over effort on the way to Trinidad!

I absolutely LOVED Trinidad- and will have to go back there for Carnival! Everyone who lives there says how sensational it is... So maybe next year????...... Yes, this is a just a quick post- gotta get back to sightseeing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment